Currently 18 Chilean students are studying English in an intensive five week program at Macquarie.



The Chilean university students and graduates study at Macquarie’s National Centre for English Language Teaching and Research (NCELTR) located on campus.

“I’ve been able to learn many new words and expressions,” says Veronica Cespedes from Santiago.

“I am learning how to write essays in English and presenting speeches in formal, academic language at NCELTR. It will really help me in my studies in Chile.”

The study tour is the first of its type and has been developed by NCELTR in conjunction with Latino Australia Education (Chile). Many students are supported by scholarships from the Chilean Santander Bank.

“I think the course is great, we have learnt so much and we are only half way through the course,” says Jean Paul Deguid from Viña del Mar. Jean Paul has nearly completed his degree in industrial engineering in Chile and is interested in working overseas in the future.

Another study tour program will commence later this year with 15 students. NCELTR aims to run the program twice a year for general and academic English needs.

NCELTR also organises cultural excursions for the students, with many of the students organising their own travel and sight seeing tours.

“I flew down to Melbourne to watch the Australian Open. I saw Roger Federer play Chilean Fernando Gonzalez which was exciting. In Sydney I’ve been to Taronga Zoo, the aquarium and lots of beaches. I have really enjoyed Sydney,” says Jean Paul.

"I've enjoyed Sydney too. I love seeing new places and traveling. The city is so well organised, it's so easy to catch a bus and get around," believes Veronica.